Here are the Curmudgeonly Professor's nominations for five words and phrases that should be banned:
- You know. Inserted after every sentence. Even Hillary Clinton was doing so during the last election, you know.
- To be honest. I've been lying up till now. Now I'll be honest, but how will you know, to be honest?
- Like. Like this, like that, like something else, inserted during every brain wave, thought, and utterance, like.
- That's what it's all about. Egregious use of two indefinite antecedents, never knowing what either that or it is all about, and that's what it's all about.
- Sweet. Nauseous.
- Enjoy. Sorry, this is a sixth word, so enjoy.
Of course, you know, to be honest, like, a plethora of other egregious words and phrases are roaming around out there, indiscriminately and overly used by vocabulary-starved folks, so we may have to add to this list as time goes by, so enjoy. Sweet! And that's what it's all about.